How to Get a Sales Tax Permit in California Quickly
This guide will show you how to get a sales tax permit (also called a sellers’ permit) in California quickly.
If you are getting sales tax permits in multiple states, you should take advantage of our free sales tax permit registration program.
Where to Register: California Department of Taxation
Registration Fee: Free, but there may be a security deposit if your taxable sales are high enough.
Renewal Required?: No, California does not require you to renew your sales tax permit.
Turnaround Time: Instant for temporary sales tax permit. Up to 2 months for regular the permit.
Contact Information: If you need help registering for a sales tax permit, call the California Division of Taxation at 1-800-400-7115
Do You Need a Sales Tax Permit in California?: A business is considered to be “engaging in business in California” (and therefore owe sales tax) if they:
- Maintain, occupy, or use any building in the state
- Have representatives or delivery vehicles in the state
- Have employees or contractors in the state
- Make repairs or provide maintenance in the state
- Have affiliates (online or in-person) selling more than $10,000 of products over the past 12 months, and more than $1,000,000 in-state sales. Learn more here.
What’s Required to Register:
- Personal information of owners/members
- Business identification information (EIN, address, etc.)
- Date of effective nexus
- Business entity type
- A copy of your drivers’ license
- For Corporations: corporate name, corporate number, State and date incorporated
- Name(s) and phone number(s) of personal references
- Name(s) and address(es) of supplier(s)
- Bank Information (name and address)
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code
- Anticipated average monthly sales and the amount that is taxable
- Home state registration number (if not located in California)
- California Secretary of State ID (if located in California)
- Name and account number of the merchant credit card processor
- Name of websites your products are sold
Special Tips for California Permit Registration:
You only need to register for a temporary sellers’ permit if your business is temporarily engaging in business in California.